Thursday, November 26, 2009

Hindi Connection

Coming back to internships again, my present joke of a work experience is rather odd. Everybody talks to me in Hindi...even the "very bengali" bangalis who just cannot. it was only yesterday, i kept answering all of the receptionist's queries in bengali when infact every question was asked to me in Hindi. I know she is a bong, i have made it amply clear that i am a bong...then why the need for hindi?? this is a very interesting phenomenon that plagues a lot of us bengalis actually...the want to talk in another language to make the discourse sound official. it happened this other time when my father was talking to a traffic policemen. Neither spoke in remotely correct hindi, but nonetheless they did speak in hindi. Since i didn't have anything to do today (read had but chose not to) i kept thinking about the whole hindi connection. very very baffling indeed.

3 comments:

SannoySpeaks said...

And i've been having a tough time with atleast two interns here taking a dig at my hindi every time i open my mouth.

But the compulsive Hindi Speaking Bengali is a work of art, and credit to you for noticing that its funny. I hope you learnt your lesson here ;)

Mohit said...

Oh please teach Marathis some manners! Two Marathis meet and they refuse to utter a word of Hindi, even when their conversation's common to ten other people. Disgusting lot. All of them.

eh??? said...

well...bengalis are always willing to show off their language skills(or no skill)